Monday, December 12, 2016

Aine and Meison Reminisce (#Christmas16 Day 12)

#Christmas16 Day 12
*Setting the box of breakable ornaments down on the coffee table, pointing to the empty space beside the tree* Just place the totes right there. Thank you both for helping. *Opening each tote, I pull out the lights and the angel and the tree skirt. Taking out the special box I had wrapped in the middle of the tote. Lifting the top off, I carefully unwrap each ornament. Smiling as I gently run my fingers over each one. These were some of my most treasured memories. All ornaments that my mother had made when I was a child* Oh momma. *Sighs* Christmas just isn't the same without you.

Meison Declain *I silently stood in the doorway and watched Aine as she touched each ornament. I could almost read her thoughts. I missed Elizabeth more than I could ever express as well. I took a step further in the room.* Would you like some company?


Aine Declain *Looking up, a smile brightening my face* Hello father. When did you get back? *Hands him a strand of lights* And I would love your help. *Starts to wrap the lights around the large tree* Do you remember when I used to get tangled in the lights?


Meison Declain Just this evening, darling girl. Of course I remember. I'm the one who had to untangle you and the lights. Prelit trees were invented because of you. *I took a strand and wound it through the branches of the tree.* You know this is my least favorite part?


Aine Declain *Laughs at the memory of trying to stand still while being untangled from the strands.* I know. Momma was the one who always did the lights. She would spend hours fixing them just right and wouldn't let us do the ornaments until she was sure they were all perfect. *Walks around behind him, unraveling the lights as we wind round and round the tree*


Meison Declain *I finish with the strand she handed me and quickly went to the dry bar in the corner and fix a drink.* Yes, I don't have the patience for it so the one strand is my contribution. What are your plans for the holidays?


Aine Declain *Shakes my head and bends down to plug the lights in. Starting with momma's ornaments, I place each one from the green limbs* Umm...nothing much. Some charity events with Dia. *A knock on the door saves me from having to explain further. Walking over to answer it, biting my lip as Dia's computer geek stands before me* "Miss Aine, I have the information on the charities that you requested. Just the ones that Mrs. Dupree aided in the past." *Smiling, I thank him, slip the paper into my pocket and hurry back to work on the tree*


Meison Declain *Watching her get the door, I decide to not get involved with her charity search, yet.* Do not forget he is Breed. I do not trust him.


Aine Declain *Shakes my head and laughs* Oh father, you worry too much. Dia is like an over grown pussy cat. He's almost as gentle as Minion and Moo. *Smiles and tries to concentrate on the tree and not the uneasy feeling in my gut at what was soon to come* Will you put Momma's angel on top for me, please?


Meison Declain *Taking the angel out of the box that Aine has meticulously kept her safe in, I close my eyes, the memories of Elizabeth too strong to deny. They flash through my mind in a moment of weakness of my defenses down. My pain is masked, and turns to the more familiar anger. I will avenge her before I leave this life. I place the angel atop the tree then step back. Kissing Aine quickly on the top of the head, I make my excuses and head out to escape my memories.* Love you, daughter mine.


Aine Declain Love you too daddy. *Watches as he hurries from the room. Waiting until he was gone before sinking to my knees at the foot of the tree. My head in my hands as I start to cry. Knowing the pain that he tries so hard to hide from me. Wishing that he would move on from it all, but knowing that the loss of your mate was the worst thing anyone could ever go through.*

No comments:

Post a Comment